Thursday, December 30, 2004

And So It Begins...

Wow, my first blog post. I have no idea if people will be interested in what I have to write, but I'll give it a try and see what happens. I guess an introduction is in order. I'm a man in his mid-thirties who is going through enormous life changes. I've led a pretty interesting life so far, and I'm usually a pretty happy person. Wow, this is already boring. Let's do it differently. I grew up in two different places. I started out in a middle-class neighborhood in the Northeast, and at the end of 5th grade moved to a trailer park in the Southeast where racism, violence and poverty all combined into a living hell for most of its residents.

That place changed me quite a bit. While it was a violent place, it could have been a lot worse. I was not in constant fear for my life, and drugs were present, but did not control life there. The worst I ever had to put up with were beatings by kids who were bigger than me. I was lucky to get out of there - I look at what happened to some of the people I knew there and feel blessed. A girl who was a friend of mine became a prostitute and died of AIDS years ago. A guy I used to hang out with has been in and out of prison. I keep track of him (sort of) by doing inmate searches on the Florida Department of Corrections site. A guy who was a couple of years older than I is serving life in prison. Get the picture?

So what am I like? I'm an optimist first and foremost. I decided years ago that I was going to enjoy life and not dwell on things I had no control over. Best decision I ever made. I was in the military for several years and most people can tell - I'm told it's the way I carry myself. I love children, have a son, and want at least 10 more (children, that is, not sons). My son is 2 years old, smiles as much as I do, and is cuter than I ever was.

I guess that's good for a start.