Friday, December 31, 2004

Some Background

There’s a lot of background that I have to cover. I guess the first thing is that my wife and I have been to counseling, but it did not go well. My wife has a family history of schizophrenia, and I am not the only person who had noticed a decline in her mental health over the last couple of years. Apparently, schizophrenia can be triggered by a severe stress-event, followed by a steady decline. Our first counselor started noticing and concentrating more on her. She had threatened suicide several times, even once stating that she was planning to put a gun to her head and pull the trigger. She was very uncomfortable with the counselor questioning her more and more and soon decided she wanted to find a new counselor. The next counselor lasted one session. He immediately started questioning some of her statements and afterward she said she would never return to him. So we started with yet another counselor. This one talked to each of us alone at the start, and I told her of my concerns. Not long before we had this appointment I had been approached by some of my wife’s family who were concerned about her behavior.

After a few appointments this came out (though who specifically did not), and she immediately called several and figured out who it was. When she confronted the person they claimed they did not do it. I suppose I cannot blame them, but it made my wife even more sure that I was plotting against her. This was the same time she was pregnant, and her behavior became even more erratic. She started getting physically violent, hitting me for no reason sometimes. One such event was witnessed by a relative. I started to load some dishes into the dishwasher. She became enraged because she felt I was loading them incorrectly. She started slapping me across the face. After each slap I told her to stop, but she continued. She slapped me five times, all the time unaware that the entire time a relative was across the room witnessing the entire incident. These violent episodes were discussed in counseling. My wife claimed that I was “forcing” her to hit me. Soon she fired this counselor and refused to go to another.

More on the divorce soon.