Saturday, January 29, 2005

Sometimes I have to wonder...

What goes through her head. The latest is that my wife has had her attorney refile a request for child support, alimony and visitation. I'm not sure I have that right, and I don't have a good idea what it means, but my attorney says it's not a big deal. Our response was to file for mediation, in which a couple of attorneys mediate between the two parties. I don't think she's going to like that process at all. Especially when we request a Guardian ad Litem (sp?) for my son. You see, in this state a Guardian ad Litem (GL from now on) has access to all marriage and personal counseling and therapy records. I thought this was great news because part of my wife's fictional story was that my "anger management" problems were the main subject in our marriage counseling. It will be interesting to see what happens when the GL reads her police report and then gets into the marriage counseling records and reads about her suicide threats and her violence against me. I have no idea what is in her personal counselor's records, but I have a feeling the GL will find it interesting.

I'm sure she has no idea the implications of going into mediation are - my attorney is very positive about it because I've been very responsible in my support and haven't done anything stupid. She says the division of assets will go much smoother because they will be fair and if my wife starts demanding more than she's entitled to it won't get her anywhere.

My attorney described my wife's idea of how the division should go, and it didn't take long. "She wants all the assets, including all equity in your home and she wants you to take over all her debt." I know, I know - I don't know what I was thinking, I should have jumped all over that offer!

My son is doing great - he is such a happy boy. Give him a matchbox car and he'll carry it around all day, showing it to people and playing with it wherever he goes. He'll smile at random women, wave and say "Hi!" It never fails to get a huge smile in return. One time his shoe was untied and I sat him on my knee to tie it. As I was busy tying, he waved and said hi to a woman going by several times. She went into a store, and when I lifted him off my knee and set him down he immediately took off running after her. He ran right into the store (with me right behind him) and found her. He ran right in front of her, stopped and just stood there, looking up at her and smiling. Then he said "hi" again. You could tell her heart was melting. She went on about how cute he was and he just kept on flirting. I finally had to pick up little Don Juan and keep moving - I think he could have followed her all night.

The best thing for me right now is that I'm starting to feel like myself again. I think that long talk with my attorney helped a lot. It relieved a lot of the pressure and dispelled some of the misconceptions I had as well as answering a lot of questions. Life is still chaotic, but it's getting better every day.

See you next time!