Friday, February 04, 2005

King Erasmus Explained

I had a pretty funny comment posted recently which referred to me as your majesty, and I thought I'd better explain the name of my blog before people decide I actually think I'm royalty or some other nonsense. In the first two days or so of life, this blog was actually titled "Saint Erasmus" Saint Erasmus is also known as Saint Elmo. St. Elmo's fire appears on mastheads during storms, and it was believed that this indicated that the ship had been placed under his protection. Since I was in the Navy, I've always been interested in St. Erasmus, it has nothing to do with him also being the patron saint of gastrointestinal and liver diseases.
I named the blog Saint Erasmus because I sometimes feel like I lead a charmed life. Yes, even with all that's happened to me recently. I've been extremely lucky, and it could have been a lot worse. So, even though I'm not catholic, I decided that Saint Erasmus was appropriate, because I felt like something was protecting me in the storm.
However, I've seen several religious blogs, and I didn't want people thinking this was one of them, so I decided to change the name. After a long and serious consideration that lasted about 4 seconds, I changed it to King Erasmus. Do I think I'm royalty? Hardly. To more closely fit me, the title should be something like Jester Erasmus, or even better Village Idiot Erasmus.

Make sense?