Sunday, February 13, 2005

A Nap at Starbucks...

Had a great time with the little guy yesterday. When I got there my wife had to wake him up from his nap and he was still very tired. He said "Hi Daddy", but no smiles. He was kind of out of it on the way to get some lunch, mainly just being quiet. We ate some lunch, but he really wasn't too hungry, he wouldn't even play with his cars. After he was finished he clearly wanted out of the high chair, so I picked him up. He immediately put his head down on my shoulder, which he only does when he's really tired and wants to go to sleep. In the time it took me to get up and pay for lunch he had already fallen asleep. I decided to go nextdoor to Starbucks and sit down in one of their comfortable chairs. I bought a Vanilla Creme (a warm steamed milk and vanilla drink) and sat down. The women at the counter absolutely melted when they say him sleeping on my shoulder, clutching his cars in his little hands. Anyway, I figured he would sleep for a half-hour or so since he had already had a nap. The chair was comfortable, so it was no problem letting him sleep. It has been so long since I got to just hold him - it was wonderful to just sit there with him. It was so comfortable that I ended up falling asleep too! I woke up and found that I'd been asleep for about an hour. I thought at first that the Starbucks people might be annoyed, but when I looked around at the counter all the women just smiled and beamed, so I felt better. The Little Guy woke up right about then - he lifted his head, looked around confused for a minute, then looked at me and said (with a smile this time) "Hi Daddy". I moved him around to a sitting position and he started becoming more animated. He started pointing at things and naming them, telling me what color they were (he loves to tell me that things are purple no matter what color they are) and playing with his cars. It was a great time!

We went to the mall and rode the escalators and elevators - he has the best time pushing the buttons to make the elevator come and the floor buttons. He pushes it and looks around smiling and the other people in the elevator would just laugh. We (of course) had our ritual ice cream and with the resultant sugar rush he decided that he wanted to run and play. We went to a big open area at the mall and I proceeded to chase him. He'd laugh so hard that he had trouble running sometimes. The people walking by definitely got a good laugh!

The woman I'm dating (N) and I were talking one day and she told me that I had to be turning quite a few female heads when I was out with my son. I was a little skeptical, but she explained that a man with a child is very attractive to women. So now, having heard that, I noticed at the mall that I was being checked out by quite a few women. I never really noticed before, probably because I was never looking. It was a nice ego boost, let me tell you. So is it true? I'm curious to hear what people have to say.

I met N on match.com a while after everything happened. For the last couple of years I was very faithful to my wife - even though she was treating me horribly and allowed no intimacy (physical or emotional) I kept my vows. To me it would have been just as wrong to cheat on her as it would have been to just walk out on her because she was having problems with her mental health. Once she struck her blow, however, I decided that it was time to see what else was out there. N was not the first woman I met - I met a physician whom I dated for a little while, but I didn't like the way that was going. She had gone through a very ugly divorce and afterward dated a man for about a year. While they were no longer dating, he was still very involved in her life, and wasn't very happy that she was dating somebody else. There were a couple of things that helped me make a decision. We were getting closer and closer and would soon have slept together, but one day I found out she had put her profile back up on match and had decided to start meeting other people. I guess she was going to get around to telling me sometime, but I asked her about it. She wanted to continue on the way we were going, but keep meeting other men. I've always been a "date-one-person-at-a-time" kind of guy, but since I was starting over, I decided to just go with it. So I put my profile back up.

I was conversing with several women, but nobody really stood out. They had a feature to match by personality, so I checked it out. I did a search and up came N's profile. She had no picture, but I liked what I read in it so I wrote to her. Later on, when she finally sent me a picture, I breathed a sigh of relief, and I believe my exact words were "Thank God". We are definitely a lot alike, the personality matching worked pretty well. I'll have to write more about her later - it's getting a little late.