Saturday, March 19, 2005

Where In The World Is King Erasmus?

It’s been a busy week, and I’ve had very little time to be writing. Thankfully, it’s also been a very productive week. There is a lot going on at work these days and most of my district feel overwhelmed. We not only have to do our regular job, but several projects that are going on right now as well. One of the times it really caught up to us was Thursday night. We have to do business plans for the year and they were due on Friday. Let me tell you that nobody in this district is lazy, there is just a lot going on right now. I sometimes do not get home until 7:30, and then I have to deal with email and data entry and such, not to mention eating and doing a little relaxing.

So Thursday night is crunch time. You put the finishing touches on the business plan and send it off – sounds easy, right? First you have to make sure that all your calls are entered, because call data is part of what goes into our business plan. So that has to be completely caught up. The business plan requires us to export data in the right field order and import it. This isn’t a really difficult process, but it’s not really easy, either.

One of my other responsibilities in the district is to act as the technical liaison for everybody else. If they have questions or problems they can call me to get answers and advice. I enjoy the role and do very well at it, my previous incarnation as a computer consultant is paying off in this role. The hardest part of it is doing technical support over the phone.

So Thursday night my cell phone was getting quite the workout. Several people in the district were having problems importing the data – if even one field is out of order the whole process fails. Another problem was one of the members having trouble cut and pasting some data from an email sent to him by our manager. I tried various solutions, but when he tried to paste the data he kept getting an error message. I finally had him send me the email so I could get the text out of it myself and send it back to him. When I got the email it quickly became apparent why he was having problems. Instead of cutting and pasting the text into the email message my manager had taken screen shots of the text, cut down the image and inserted the image into the email. Basically, my coworker would have to type it all in himself. I got to bed about 1:30 am – and that was earlier than some people in the district. We had a conference call at 8:30 the next morning and I found that some had been up quite a bit later than I.

I caught up on my sleep some last night – though I’m not completely awake yet.

It’s been a slow news week for me, which is great. The only interesting bits are that my wife has demanded half of any refund we get from the IRS, but made no mention of being responsible for half of anything we might owe. She also gave me a printer, which I found out didn’t work. I told her I was going to bring it back to her because it was still under warranty and the company wanted proof of purchase. Since she bought it she has that, but she became suspicious of my motives for wanting to give back the printer. She told me to either throw it out or sell it instead of bringing it back. I’m going to bring it back today anyway – if she complains I’ll tell her I’ll be happy to take the printer, but she needs to get it fixed under the warranty first. If she gets too ridiculous I’ll just leave it in the driveway. If she wants to throw it out she can do it.

I had a great time with my son on Thursday – he was very happy to see me. It was really funny this time, he started pointing out where he wanted to go, like the pizza place, the pet store, the toy store etc. He also let me know when he wanted to leave – he’d sometimes point to the door and say “that way” while pulling my hand, other times he say “want to go” or “let’s go”. It’s amazing how quickly children develop, it’s literally only days between my visits and he’s changed every time. He amazes me on a continual basis, even with something as simple as recognizing places we’d been before.

I’d love to keep writing, but I have to get ready to go see the little guy. Hope you all have as good a day as I’m going to have!