Saturday, March 05, 2005

Wish Me Luck

Well, it seems that last Tuesday's events are going to have some more consequences. I received a call from my manager on Friday, and he asked me if I could meet him and his boss on Monday. Normally when somebody in my field gets a phone call like that it means that you are about to be asked to resign. I didn't want to wonder all weekend, and I have always tried to confront uncomfortable situations in a straightforward way, so I asked him if I was still going to have a job after this meeting. He told me that he understood why I asked, but that it was just going to be a talk. They want to find out where my head is at, assess the situation, plan out what needs to be done and see what they can do to help. I trust my manager, and the culture of the company is to take care of it's own, and they do. I think Monday is going to be my "wake-up call".

All the things going on got me to thinking. I'm definitely an optimist, and one of my rules is "Hope for the best, plan for the worst". What I got to thinking is, what would I do if I did lose my job? Not just Monday, but anytime. I've decided to map out a strategy that would comprise of a couple different parts. Immediate actions, short-term plans, long-term plans. Right now I have no savings, which is terrifying. In fact, I'm more than a bit behind because of everything that's happened in the last few months. So, right now my first order of business is to get my finances back in order. I need to catch up on everything and then get some money saved. That's of vital importance because I need something to live on in the event of job loss.

Here's my short-term plan so far: apply for unemployment (if I'm eligible) and find a job. I'm sure many of you are busy scribbling to make sure you get this down before something happens and it's gone forever.

Long-term - career change? That's something I'll have to think about. Career change is difficult, but sometimes I think I'd rather be in a desk job somewhere. Anybody got any experience or advice here?