Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Blogging So Hard My Foot Is Cramping

There is so much going on in my life right now that it’s hard to blog about it all. I’ve blogged recently about my new (used) car, Revenge of the Sith, the DMV (or Bastion of Evil), and even karma. There’s so much more than that.

Can you believe that life is good? I don’t know what I’m going to do for work, where I’ll be in a year or even when I’ll be able to drive my car. Despite the Saga that is my divorce, the loss of my job, and the uncertainty of my immediate future, I still think the best is on it’s way.

Things I’m looking forward to:

  1. Spending time with my son as he grows
  2. Having a job that doesn’t come home with me
  3. Having my entire weekend to myself
  4. A real Christmas (I’ll post that story someday)
  5. Movies (I love movies)
  6. Setting up a model train for my son to play with
  7. Travelling

Ok, that’s enough of a list for now. I had a great weekend besides seeing Revenge of the Sith early. On Saturday and Sunday I actually spent a lot of time with L at the Brimfield Flea Market – the biggest flea market in the world. We did so much walking that my feet hurt at the end of each day. I got some good loot, though. I picked up a set of steak knives for $10, a stoneware vase for $2 (which was WAY underpriced), and a stoneware bowl for $5. I saw a couple of stoneware vases for upwards of $800 (yes, eight hundred), but I just got lucky. The people I got mine from just didn’t know what they were selling, although I doubt they are worth more than $40-$50 total combined. The funniest thing I bought was a wooden bowl that looked like an antique but was probably not. I had just got done looking at an incredible doghouse that had just sold for $8000 (yes, eight thousand). Yes, it was really nice, but I can’t imagine spending that much for a dog house. I’d build one before I bought one. It had been made very precisely, and had been painted meticulously with an outdoor nature theme. The painting was done by somebody with some real skill, it really was something to look at. Anyway, the same vendor had this wooden bowl and I carried it up to the front and asked how much it was. She looked at me and said “That’s a nice choice, very old, it’s $9000.” My other had immediately came around and cradled it, my mind imagining it suddenly leaping from my hand and breaking on the ground. I looked at it thinking “$9000!”, while wondering what Native American tribe had hand carved it in the distant past. She then laughed and said “$10 and it’s yours!”. I must have looked pretty comical.

One of the things I do to keep things in perspective is pay attention to what other people have gone through at different times in their lives and remember how lucky I’ve been. I grew up with two decent parents, even if they did divorce. I had my trials, but nothing so bad that it broke me. All of them prepared me well for the trials I’m going through now. One thing I make sure I remember is that all these things are temporary and life will go on. Things get better, especially if you want them to.

So here I sit, foot cramping. Soon I’ll have some ice cream, talk to L on the phone and get to bed for a nice nights sleep. Have I mentioned how nice it is to go to sleep knowing you don’t have a stressful job to wake up to in the morning? I’ve heard that life is what you make of it, and let me tell you, it’s true.