Friday, May 20, 2005

I Live In A Swamp

So last night I came home and I could tell from the noise coming from the water heater area that somebody was taking a shower. You know how in some places you can hear the water running, right? So when I woke up this morning the sound was still there, and my landlady told me that there was no hot water. Not yet having had my first cup of coffee my mind did not make all of the necessary connections, but it did realize that there was a problem.

I went and opened the door leading to where the water heater was located and found a quarter inch or so of water on the floor. We had some minor flooding. The floor in the basement apartment I live in is raised, so the water had been running underneath it, as evidenced by the water in the laundry room, which is on the other side of the house from the water heater.

My landlady knows a plumber, so he was here within an hour, which is simply amazing. He took one look at the water heater and declared it dead. He said it would cost $1000 to replace and that he could do it this afternoon. He’s here with an assistant now finishing up the job. From what I can tell, he’s not making much money off of this job. The water heater costs about $800, and the has to get a $50 permit to work on a gas water heater. He and his assistant have been here for about 2 hours and are almost done, but I can only imagine how much it would have cost if she had not known him.

Here’s an interesting question: How is it that a plumber can wear a belt and still somehow have his pants near falling down? The assistant has a little way to go before he becomes a real plumber, he’s rail thin.

I’ll be glad when they’re done, as I’d really like to get in the shower. One nice thing about the whole thing is that it’s forced me to get a lot of stuff organized. Or will. I’ve done some, but after they’re done there’s a lot more to do. I can do it while I’m waiting for the water to heat up.

I do have one other question: Where are all the hot women plumbers? Has no woman seen the niche that exists for this service?