Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The Job Search Begins In Earnest

I am very happy to report that I have, at this moment, sitting on the chair in the other room, a set of plates and a registration for my car. Whatever extraterrestrial agency or angry God was preventing me from getting my car registered has apparently given me a break. Now I have to hop on a bus tomorrow morning to go down and put the plates on and drive home. It will be very nice to have a vehicle again. I’ll have to post a picture like ESSF (Extra Strength Strangling Fingers) did of her new car.

This means that I can begin my job search in earnest. I’ve been reluctant to send out resumes to businesses on monster and others because I wasn’t sure I’d have the car to get to interviews with. That’s a definite problem if you’re looking for a job.

I’ve found some really interesting job possibilities so far. I sent my resume to one, but I’m holding off on the others until I finish my cover letter. I’m planning on doing that tomorrow after I read a little bit about writing them. I’ll do that reading on my way down to pick up the car. I don’t want to send out a half-assed cover letter. Hi – I’m wanting a job. Hire me.

On a completely different note, I saw that The 4400 will be starting again on USA soon. The first season was great, I can hardly wait until this starts again. The Sci-Fi channel also has an amazing range of quality of shows. Some are very good, like Battlestar Galactica and Scare Tactics. Some are very bad – I saw a movie the other night called The Fallen Ones which was so bad I actually stopped watching it. I’d like to see what they’d do with some more of the Dune series, like the last three books Frank Herbert wrote. I live in perpetual fear that they’ll take on the books his son (Brian Herbert) has written as prequels. I was one of the first ones to buy Brian’s first book and people were laughing at me as I read it because I’d get so disgusted with it that I’d put it down vowing not to finish it, but then try again, hoping that it would get better. I barely managed to finish it. I wrote a scathing review on Amazon comparing his writing style to his fathers. I think I said that his style was like a “verbal club to the head”, among other things. It was up for quite a while, until the number of people who found it useful grew. Then it was suddenly removed. I emailed Amazon about it and they had no record of my review ever existing. Yeah, right. More like people might not buy the book after reading a well-written negative review. You want to read some funny stuff? Go to the Dune: House Atriedes on Amazon.com, click the link to read all customer reviews, then order them by lowest rating first.

Before I finish this post, I want to tell people about a service I’ve recently started using. I came across Bloglines, and it took me all of about 5 minutes to fall in love with it. It’s a great way to keep up with the blogs I like to read.