Sunday, May 01, 2005

Life is Full of Surprises

This week was full of news. My last day with my current employer may be Tuesday (though some things also indicate it will not), so I’ve been thinking about what I’m going to do and how I’m going to do it. I’ve looked into several possibilities and they all look pretty good. However, I had some really interesting news the other day.

One of my top 10 customers (#9, actually) is a local site of a very large national company. I have an outstanding professional relationship with the manager of the facility, and have worked hard in helping them meet their goals. I decided to go to some of my top customers and tell them that I’d be leaving soon so that they could let me know what they needed to tide them over until whoever took over got up to speed. This was the first. I went in and she immediately knew something was up – she said “Are you leaving?” When I said yes, she pounded on her desk with both hands – it’s a great sign when your customers don’t want you to leave. She asked me where I was going and I told her that I didn’t know and that there were a few ideas I had that I wanted run by her to see what she thought.

She suddenly smiled and told me that she had recently been promoted and that she now oversaw another facility and had just had the site manager (her original position, but in the other facility) position open up and asked if I’d be interested in interviewing for it. What a surprise! I was certainly not expecting something like this to come up. We talked about my professional background for a while, which is very relevant to the position. We ended up talking for about a half hour and she wants me to send her my resume, so I’m getting it updated.

I’m excited for a couple of reasons. One is that I’d be working for her directly, and we have already established an excellent working relationship. She knows that I work hard and do a good job for my customers, so I’m a known quantity that way. I also have a lot of knowledge about the industry, every one of her competitors, marketing strategies etc. My experience dealing with the equipment vendors and other facets of the industry are very good selling points.

Now I’ve just got to get my resume together, do my research and get ready to interview. I’m not too worried about the interviews, I’ve always interviewed well. I’ve never failed to get an offer for a job I was interviewing for so I must be doing something right. Having said that, I still think my strongest advantage going into this is my professional experience with this manager; she knows me and how I work.

The only down side to this is that the job is further away from my son than I want to be, but I think having a job and be able to pay support is more important than my driving convenience.

On another front, I was a complete fool yesterday. I drove down for my visitation with my son, and only when I had pulled into the parking lot and parked did I realize that my STBX’s car was not there, and I only then remembered that we had switched days about a month ago. Should have paid more attention...

Ok, I’ll have to write more later because if I don’t get moving now I’ll never get out of here in time to go see my son.