Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Dogs, Dinosaurs, Monsters and Daddy

I’ve decided that I’m going to write a series of stories for my son. I thought that if I were going to be reading to him in the future I wanted it to be something special, something just for him. I also thought it could be a great way to teach him things like honesty, honor and whatever else I find he needs to hear or learn. I remember hearing stories when I was little that were exciting and had monsters and animals and heroes. I can’t imagine how much better a story would have been if I were actually in it.

I’ve been thinking about what I’m going to start out with and I have some pretty good ideas. I started on the first story the other night, and it took a lot out of me. I slept for days afterward… I’m going to start out pretty simple since he’s young and I can make it more complex as he gets older. Luckily I remember a lot of the things that young boys find exciting. The first story is going to have his dog and me and my dog (though I don’t have a dog right now), and as the stories progress I’ll add some of the things I found interesting when I was little and some of the things I find interesting now. They’ll definitely have his dog, but in the future I’ll add fencing, other animals, adventures and, of course, Daddy saving the day every once in a while. When he gets old enough I’ll add some monsters and dinosaurs, but right now he’s a little too young for that.

At least one story will have to have words I’m stealing from LaLa: “Since I was a small child, kidnapped by apes” – I think they’re quite funny. My apologies if you really were kidnapped by apes, LaLa.

I think I’ll have fun writing them, but I’ll have considerably more fun reading them to him.