Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Good News and Bad News About My Car

I did get a phone call yesterday from the Auto shop, but it was only about 20 minutes before they closed (which was much later than I thought it would be), and I was upstairs and missed the call. By the time I found out they had called, they had already closed, so I didn’t find out until this morning what was wrong with my car. There’s good news and (sort of) bad news.

First, the good news: The water pump is fine, so it doesn’t need to be replaced.

The (sort of) bad news: The compressor for the Air conditioning seized, which is why the belt was squealing and smoking. The cost of the new compressor alone would be $595. Then you have other things that need to be done and other parts, and the total comes to $1050. That doesn’t include the cost of the tow. Why is this “sort of” bad news? Because I can drive the car without the repair. I can live without air conditioning for a while.

So today I’m going back to drop off the loaner and pick up my car. I know that the women in my neighborhood will be disappointed that I will no longer be driving such a hot car, but they’ll just have to get over it.

In case you’re wondering, I did go to Autozone and look up replacing the AC compressor in the Vehicle Repair Guides they have on their website. This is what I found:

Repair or service of air conditioning components is not covered by this information, because of the risk of personal injury or death, and because of the legal ramifications of servicing these components without the proper EPA certification and experience. Cost, personal injury or death, environmental damage, and legal considerations (such as the fact that it is a federal crime to vent refrigerant into the atmosphere), dictate that the A/C components on your vehicle should be serviced only by a Motor Vehicle Air Conditioning (MVAC) trained, and EPA certified automotive technician.

I didn’t think it would be something I could do, but I had to check anyway. They had me at “risk of personal injury and death”.