Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The Job Interview

As far as I can tell the job interviews went very well. I met with the man who would be my supervisor and we got along pretty well. He then brought over one of the other people who worked in the department to interview me. It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I thought I was going to be grilled about my technical experience a lot more than I was. It was basically a pretty good conversation, not stressful at all. This talk lasted under a half hour. Then another guy from the department interviewed me, and it seemed to go just as well. I met with the potential supervisor again and he told me that he was going to talk to the two other interviewers, then talk to another supervisor tomorrow, and he would call me early next week to let me know what the decision was. I don’t want to get my hopes up – it’s too stressful. I’d really like for this to happen, and my contact said that there was a very good chance and that he’d let me know as soon as he heard something. He is good friends with both supervisors and is confident they’ll let him know tomorrow or Friday.

This interview was so much different than the interviews I’ve done in the pharmaceutical world. No interview I ever did in that field was LESS than three hours. Usually, I’d meet with the manager, then the manager and somebody else, then the manager and the regional manager. The first interview was always fairly easy, but the second and the third were usually “stress” interviews. They pull out every stop to make you uncomfortable to see how you react under pressure. Nothing you can say is taken at face value and they dig and dig and question and question. Over three hours of that, sometimes with the managers double-teaming you. The second and third interviews were always very difficult, but I always did very well. The last thing you’d have to make sure happened was “closing” the interviewer(s). That’s closing as in “closing the sale”. If you didn’t do that, you pretty much blew the interview.

Interviews in pharmaceutical sales are much, much different than what I experienced today. I’m glad I went over everything with my contact – he told me what to expect and that I shouldn’t close the interviewers.

After the interview I got a tour of the facility and the labs they have there for troubleshooting problems with the networking equipment they support. It was incredible. They know I would be coming in needing to learn quite a bit, and this is the norm for people starting there.

Like I said, I think it went very well, but I’m scared to get my hopes up – I’ve got enough stress on me right now. Wish me luck.