Monday, August 15, 2005

An Update on the Best Buy/Sports Illustrated Debacle

Over the last two weeks or so I’ve noticed a surprising increase in the number of hits to my blog resulting from searches for “www.sicustomerservice.com” and “sicustomerservice”. Even more surprising, when I followed the link in my stats I found that I was the number two result on AOLsearch and the number four result on MSN. I don’t know how I feel about being so high on anything on AOL, but I suppose I’ll take traffic from anywhere. I started searching around to see what else came up concerning the subscription fiasco concerning Best Buy, Sports Illustrated and Entertainment Weekly and found that there are more and more people complaining about the “free subscription” practice.

I found a couple of other sites complaining about the practice:

The Conglomerate Blog

Householdwatch

My3cents

I’ve been in Best Buy a couple of times since then and each time I’ve been told that I’d won a free subscription. I’ve also had to listen to the spiel given to the people in front of me in line – several times I’ve listened to the cashier tell somebody that they won a free subscription. They’re never told that their credit card information is going to be passed along. They’re never given a pamphlet or told that they’re signing up for automatic renewal.

So after writing about this yet again I’ll probably get more hits from people trying to get information about this Best Buy scam, which, if the trend continues, will become my number one source of traffic.