Monday, August 22, 2005

The Waiting is Over

Sometimes I think I lead a charmed life. I got a call from my contact at the job, and he told me that the decision has been made to hire me. He said to expect a call from the interviewer tomorrow. He was fully prepared to go in and push hard with the interviewer and the interviewer’s manager, but it seems the decision was made before he had to. From what he told me the interviewer pushed harder for me to be hired than he would have! Since the interviewer is most likely going to be my immediate manager I take that as a very good sign.

This may sound strange, but the reality still hasn’t hit me. It does feel like a gigantic weight has been lifted off my shoulders, but I think it will take a while for it to all seem real.

It’s going to be quite a learning curve, but that’s OK. If there’s one thing I’m good at, it’s learning. One of the things the interviewer was most impressed with was that I graduated summa cum laude from my university. Before I even interviewed him he had gone online with the university and found out what that really meant.

My contact told me that the other people who work there are extremely happy that they are hiring somebody with no experience, strange as that sounds. This company likes to find people who can learn, have good attitudes and train them themselves. In the last year a couple of people with experience have been hired and it didn’t work out as well as it should have.

So tonight I’m going to call several family members who have been worried about me and let them know the good news.

It’s funny. I’ve been losing sleep despite my best efforts from the stress and worry of not having a job. Tonight, however, I have a feeling that I’m going to have a hard time sleeping for exactly the opposite reason.