Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The Evil Lizard

My son and I had a great time on Sunday and Monday. We went up to visit my brother and his family, one of our favorite things to do. When I told my son we were going to see his cousins he did this little jumping “yayyyy!” and was immediately telling me about how he was going to chase them. They have a little lawnmower shaped toy that my son has fallen in love with. It has Winnie the Pooh sitting with a honey jar on it and Winnie and the jar spin and make noise as it’s pushed. My son will push it and chase his cousins with it, all of them laughing and shrieking. Sometimes they turn the tables and chase him, but he runs away while still pushing the toy.

He got to play in a little pool while we were there. We set up a little slide so the kids could slide into it. Right before they started that I had found a little plastic toy lizard on the ground and showed it to my son. He told me he was scared of it and wouldn’t come closer than two feet from it. Somehow, I’m not sure how, he ended up playing with it while he was in the pool. He’d see it, shriek, pick it up and throw it out of the pool, laughing at the same time. We kept throwing it back in so he could find it again. He started yelling “It’s the lizard!” as he threw it. As he was standing at the bottom of the slide I let the lizard slide down and told him it was going to get his toes. He let out a delighted shriek and jumped back. After that he would take the lizard himself, put it at the top of the slide and let it slide down onto his feet. Then he’d shriek and jump back, pick up the lizard and do it over again. I’m going to have to find him a lizard toy now.

Yesterday I helped my brother move some rocks while my son was inside watching some television. My brother has a tractor which we were using (with a trailer) to move all the rocks, so it wasn’t long before my son wanted to come out to see the tractor in action. While we were loading or unloading the rocks he’d go and find little stones to put in the trailer to help, and when my brother went to move the tractor I’d pick him up. He’d make me follow in the exact path of the trailer, no shortcuts were allowed.

He slept for most of the ride home, but woke up about a half-hour before the ride was over. He had dropped his car and told me he couldn’t find it. I told him we’d find it when we stopped (we were coming to a rest stop), but he got upset and started crying. We stopped and I found the car, but he was still upset, so we went in to eat. That did the trick. He ate like he hadn’t eaten in two weeks and was very happy.

I’ve been in a good mood since then, and watching the video of the lizard-play has made it easy to maintain the mood. One of the best things I ever bought was the camcorder. I suspect the STBX hasn’t been doing a lot of filming of him, mainly because she couldn’t even find our camcorder at one point. Now it’s been at her father’s for months while he pulls video off of it. She’s not shared any pictures or video she’s taken anyway, so I am left to fend for myself. I love that I’ll be able to show this to him (or his future girlfriends, heh heh) someday. Luckily, I had pulled all the video off the old camcorder and have it stored on one of my many hard drives. I swear I’m going to have to buy hard drives in bulk to keep it all, but it’s worth it. I don’t just get to have the fun with him, I get to watch it again whenever I want. And the possibilities for future torture and blackmail make it even better.

So, all in all, a great time. Next post: More lawyer fun.