Tuesday, September 06, 2005

How Do I Get A Divorce From My Divorce Attorney?

As you might remember, I and my attorney parted ways a couple of weeks ago. Between the horrendous advice and the notifications of court dates the day before I was supposed to be there, I had no problems with ending my dealings with her and finding somebody new. Afterward, she claimed that she had proof of her office informing me on more than two occasions of the court date. I decided to ask for the proof. She avoided answering me directly about it for several emails, if she answered the email at all. I’m in the process of filing a complaint about her advice (that could have led to a felony for me, had I followed it), her surprise notifications and the lies. Each time she has called me the day before a court date she’s claimed that she’d emailed me and that it bounced back. Funny, nobody else has had a problem.

Over the course of time I gave her a couple of email addresses and even emailed her so that all she had to do was hit the reply button. No dice. Until we parted ways. Then the email worked fine for her to tell me that I needed to pay her thousands of dollars. That was a mistake. Once she emailed me for real and it worked, I immediately asked her to forward the “bounced email”, which she claimed had bounced back to her the day before. She tried to avoid the request, but I emailed her twice more specifically asking her to forward the email to me and to provide the proof she claimed to have. She eventually stopped answering at all.

So today my phone rings, it’s her office. I let it go to voicemail so she could leave a message. In the message she claims now that she hasn’t withdrawn from the case (???) and that she thinks she sees the problem now. Said problem being that I don’t want to be divorced. While one part of my mind screamed “What?!?”, another part continued listening. She went on to tell me that it’s normal and that I needed to decide what I wanted to do. “Remember,” she said “it’s you against her, not you against me”. I nearly picked up the phone to call her back and give her a piece of my mind. I wanted to ask her about the horrendous advice, the last minute court dates, the claims that she was informing me and the questions I’ve presented her about the financial settlement that she has not satisfactorily answered. Do you think any of this might have something to do with me not wanting to make things final?

Of all the ludicrous things she could have come up with she tells me that I must not want to be divorced from the STBX. I would love for that to be over, but I won’t rush that if there’s serious problems with the settlement. Now that I’ve had a few hours to think about it I’m not sure what I’m going to do. I’d like to call her let her have it, but I don’t want to tip my hand about the complaint.

What did occur to me in the last few hours is that she was likely told by the STBX’s attorney (whom she said she spoke to recently) that I’ve found a job. It would not surprise me if when she heard of this new source of income (and, for her, fees) she decided to try and patch things up. It would explain the sudden change of our status back to client-attorney. I guess until I decide how to handle it I’ll just continue to prepare the complaint.

Is it just me or does everybody have these problems with their divorce attorney?