Saturday, September 24, 2005

Just When I Thought It Was Safe To Go Back In The Water...

I thought I was having another run-in with mental illness today. You might remember this post – where I was happy that the STBX had suddenly decided to stop interfering with me having time with my son. Basically, she agreed that we should follow the plan we came up with in mediation and ease my son into staying with me overnight. In reality I don’t think it’s necessary, because he’s stayed with me overnight several times and never had a problem. I’m willing to do it, though, just to get the time with him.

So this morning I show up at 9am to pick up my son. I ring the bell and I hear my son yelling “Mommy! It’s my Daddy!” I can tell he’s all kinds of excited, which just makes me smile. I hear the window on the second floor open up and see the STBX looking out at me with a “WTF?” look on her face. She asks me why I’m there, and I tell her that I’m here to pick him up, just like we agreed. She then looks at me and says “When we agreed to that I didn’t know it was going to be permanent!”

I’m really concerned now, because this makes no sense. The plan that we came up with in mediation was clear and we were clear that we were going to follow it. It’s been two weeks since we agreed to it, and last week I picked him up at 9. Why is she suddenly claiming ignorance?

She told me it was going to be a few minutes because he wasn’t ready to go. When she brought him down she told me that he hadn’t had breakfast yet, but didn’t say much more. We left and had a great day. In the back of my mind, however, was the thought that she was going to try to back out of our agreement, which really bothered me.

When I brought him back I was expecting problems, but I didn’t get them. She seemed back on track with the agreement and I didn’t mention anything about the morning since it seemed to have been resolved. I’m thinking now that maybe she just forgot that I was picking him up at 9 now and was too embarrassed to admit it when I got there. It just doesn’t make sense otherwise. Thankfully, whatever the reason, we’re now back on the same page.