Saturday, October 08, 2005

Forgiven

I had a great date last night. Early this year I was dating a real estate agent. We’d dated for a little over six months and it was going very well. I’m going to leave a lot out, but I’ll give you the basics. As the stress in my life increased, I foolishly started thinking that she was the source of all of it. The only thing I can say in my own defense is that I’ve been through a time in the last year that was almost too much to bear. I broke things off with her. Over time I got some things from her, like postcards telling me that she hoped I was well.

As things have improved I began to take a look at all the events of the last year. When I thought about what had happened between us I felt guilty, and I decided I wanted to apologize to her. I emailed her an apology, expecting nothing more, because I wasn’t sure if she wanted to even hear from me. I was very honest in my apology and didn’t try to make excuses. I just told her what happened and told her I had been wrong. I was surprised when several days later she wrote back.

To make a long story short we ended up emailing back and forth and eventually began talking on the phone. I was very happy being able to get to know her again. Earlier this week we were talking on the phone and she told me that she had asked me out to the movies the day before in another phone conversation. Through some bizarre joke perpetrated by the God of Cordless Phones I completely missed her asking me. So we went out to the movies last night. It was the first time I’d seen her in over six months. It wasn’t exactly the same as when we’d dated before, but it was very close, and that was good.

Sometimes I can’t believe how lucky I am. Believe me when I say that if you look at whose loss would have been bigger I would have come out the bigger loser (in a number of ways). I think one of the only reasons she’s willing to give me a second chance is that I treated her well.

So last night we spent some time together and it felt really good. I even got a nice good-night kiss. Even better than that, I told her that I’d missed her, and she said that she’d missed me too.

Sometimes you make mistakes, and sometimes they can be pretty big. And sometimes you get forgiven for them. The trick is not to make the same mistakes twice.