Thursday, October 20, 2005

A Phone Call

So today I received a phone call from a friend. I got to know this woman several years ago, about a month after my Ex was fired from her job. Her boss had fired her by leaving a message on the answering machine. Basically, the man was a jackass, and we were better off. This woman was hired to replace my Ex, and somehow, through some bizarre coincidence, ended up moving in the building right next to ours.

To make a long story short, the same man who fired my Ex fired this woman. He called her on the telephone the day before she was supposed to start work and told her. There’s a LOT more to that story, but what it boils down to is that he tried several times to come on to her, even one time trying to pin her down so he could kiss her. She made it clear that it was not going to happen (she said she threw him across the room when he pinned her down – and she was strong enough to do it) so he fired her. The trouble for him was that he had a contract for a years employment with her. So she sued him. I ended up testifying at the trial for her, and this is one time I’ll brag. I kicked his ass in the courtroom. He settled very shortly after my testimony.

I’m going to call her Sayre for now. Sayre got to know my Ex and I pretty well. She saw a lot of what I was going through when my Ex started acting strangely and often told me that she was worried about her. When my Ex filed charges against me Sayre was aghast. She called my Ex and had many long conversations with her. Sayre told me several months ago that my Ex had thought I would be under her thumb as a result of her stories, and went into a panic when it didn’t go the way she thought it would.

Today when she called she told me some more interesting things. Apparently she won’t answer the phone if it’s my Ex calling now. My Ex has been calling her for the last couple of months complaining about me. Of all the things she could complain about, the Ex won’t stop complaining that she’s sure I’m seeing a woman. This is a year after she had me thrown out and filed for divorce. Sayre told her that she had made her choices and that she had to live with them.

Sayre got another call last night from my Ex. The Ex called her to tell her she was now divorced, but she didn’t seem very happy about it. She told Sayre how she sat in her car and cried right after for a while and asked her “What am I supposed to do?” It appeared that the Ex was very upset about the whole thing.

Sometimes I just don’t know what to think. Somebody (who shall remain anonymous) told me about a relative who had a spouse with schizophrenia. Even after a divorce the spouse would write long letters to members of the family as if it never broke up. I wonder how much of this I’m going to see.