Thursday, October 13, 2005

An Update on the New Job

I am having a great time at the new job. One thing I mentioned before is that it’s expected that there is a learning curve – they don’t expect anybody to be ready to go on day one. I’ve been putting a lot of effort into learning and getting ready to start helping out, and it’s paying off. I have learned so much since I started, and I’ve barely scratched the surface.

In the last week I’ve gotten to a point where I needed to start using VM Ware. Let me just say that I’ve falling in love with this software. I won’t bore the non-techies out there with the details, let’s just say I can play and tinker to my heart’s content and with a click be back to where I started so I can do it all over again.

There’s another guy who was hired 2 weeks after I was who I’ve been working with to get familiar with the equipment. He actually worked at this company years ago supporting routers, so he brings a lot to the table. We’ve already gained the reputation of dangerous to attempt a practical joke on. Not because we’d get mad, but because we’d get positively gleeful about having an excuse to go after somebody.

We definitely impressed some people this week. We had been setting up different configurations with our equipment, and one of the experienced people decided it was time to start introducing faults for us to find and fixed. She made us go away and when we came back our equipment no longer worked. We found the problem and fixed it in less that 5 minutes. That shocked the woman. At this point in our training there really isn’t very many things that can be broken so we didn’t find it very difficult.

As a result, today we were asked by one of the other engineers to help them set up a lab to reproduce a problem a customer was having. Not because he needed help technically, he definitely does not, but because it’s easier to do some of this with help. The important thing is that he trusted us enough to help him out. The good thing for us is that we’re starting to help people out.

I found out something very interesting today. Myself and the other new guy were talking with some of the other engineers and we were told that we were the first new hires in almost four years! It was quite a compliment for both of us that we were chosen over all the other candidates that were being interviewed. And it also explains why there was so much confusion when we started. They hadn’t had to set anything up for anybody new for years.

So, all in all, I’m loving the new job. It’s challenging, it’s interesting and the people are great. How much more can you ask for?