Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A First Date

Not too long ago I wrote that I was putting my match.com profile back up. It didn’t take long. I was emailing back and forth with somebody, I’ll call her Curly (for her hair). We emailed back and forth a few times, and we decided we wanted to talk on the phone. The first phone call was pretty interesting, because we talked a little bit about our respective experiences on match. My experience has been pretty positive, but hers has been just the opposite. Her first three months or so on match she did not get a single wink or email. Very few men would respond to her winks or emails. She told me that she felt like she was getting run over by a truck because it was so hard on her ego. I can’t blame her for feeling that way. I thought about it, reread her entire profile and looked at her pictures again. I just can’t understand why she wouldn’t be flooded with interest. I got the opinion of a couple other people, and all told me that they thought she looked good – both her pictures and what she wrote. Most women get (literally) about five times as many profile views as men, and get a LOT more winks and emails. The only explanation I can come up with is that there was something wrong with match.

Anyway, we decided after a couple of times talking on the phone that we should meet, and we made a date for last night. I left from work and we met at a restaurant about 7 or 8 minutes from there. I got there first, and I waited in the vestibule for her to arrive. When she did, the first thing that came to mind was that her pictures do not do her justice.

We sat down at about 6pm, and for the next four hours we sat there and learned about each other. It was a lot of fun because we have a lot in common. She’s a Physician’s Assistant, a type of practitioner I used to call on when I was a pharmaceutical rep. At one point she was describing an absolutely horrible first date saying something along the lines of “he just sat there across from me, doing nothing. He didn’t talk at all. It was terrible, and it didn’t help that I just didn’t find him attractive”. I jokingly said “This sounds a lot like this date”. She blushed and said “No – that’s not a problem. You’re very handsome.” At this point even a chimp would know that the date was going well.

It came time to start heading home, and I had an hour drive ahead of me. We walked out and before we left she gave me two very nice goodnight kisses. It really was a great date.

A few people I work with knew I was going out on a date. I had told them about the last first date I had, and they had all gotten a good laugh about it. Today I was sure I was going to get asked about it, and I knew it wouldn’t take long for the chanting of “Erasmus and Curly, sitting in a tree…” to start. Engineers are not often accused of having a sophisticated or subtle sense of humor. It was a busy day, however, and only one person asked me about it. No chanting.

I’m expecting a call from her in a few minutes, and we’re probably going to go out on Friday night. Tonight, though, I need to catch up on my sleep.