Monday, January 30, 2006

Once Again...

Once again, the Ex makes a move to make my life more difficult. The pickup of my son on Sunday didn’t go well. I think I’ve mentioned before that the Ex seems to think she can enter my car whenever she wants. She claims that she’s just saying goodbye to our son, but at that point she’s already said goodbye to him. I don’t like her going into my car, so this time I locked the doors on the passenger side after I put my son into his car seat.

So this time, when she tried to open the door, she found it wouldn’t open. She told me to unlock it, and I told her I wouldn’t, and that I didn’t want her going into my car. We’d had this discussion before, and I’d told her the same thing then.

She was angry – she said she was allowed to say goodbye to “her own son”, and demanded that I open the door. I refused, and she got even angrier. She made some bizarre accusation about me going into her car, which I’ve never done. It soon became apparent to her that I was not going to open the door, and she gave me the toy.

She stood right next to the car, staring in at me angrily, as I backed out of the parking space. I knew she was mad, but there’s no way I was going to allow her to enter my car at will.

She didn’t waste any time in thinking up a way to “get back” at me. When I dropped off my son she handed me a note that said “owe allergist”. I asked her what it meant, and she told me that it was the remainder of the balance we owed the Allergist, whom my son had just seen. She claimed that she had already paid her half. She told me that I hadn’t gotten the bill yet because they didn’t have my new address, so I should be getting it soon. She’d given them my new address.

Now, under the agreement we signed, I am responsible for 51% of unreimbursed medical expenses, so this wasn’t something that was totally unreasonable. I asked her how much it was, and she said it was a little over $200. I was very surprised at this, and asked her why it was so much. I couldn’t understand how so much of the bill wouldn’t have been covered by insurance. She again stated that she’d already paid her half, somehow thinking that this answered my question.

I asked her again, and she realized that she was going to have to give me more information. She admitted that it was the previous balance from approximately two years ago. This was not welcome news. Under the divorce agreement, this was one of the bills she was responsible for paying. She was trying to pull a fast one here.

I told her that this was her responsibility under the agreement. She told me that there was no way she was going to pay the whole bill. Apparently, she felt the agreement she signed no longer applied somehow. I didn’t want to argue in front of my son, so I just left, thinking that I’d have to deal with this later.

If she gave them my address for the bill, then I’d say that’s a pretty good indication that she is trying to make me pay it. That means that unless she changes her mind, I’ll have to take her to court to force her to honor the agreement. Yeah, I’m really looking forward to that. I’m confident that I’d end up winning (if you can call it that), I’m just really annoyed that she feels she has to keep doing things like this. I don’t think she’s ever going to stop, unless the judge makes it clear that she’d better.

It’s going to be interesting to see how she reacts to being told we’re going to court over it.