Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Some Good News...

I decided to make this little bit of news a separate post. Yesterday I got a call from one of my managers asking me to come to his office when I got a chance. When I got there he gave me some great news – I was being assigned as the focal engineer for a customer. I was very surprised, mainly because it’s very early to be assigned something like this. I talked to a few people and found out that they all thought it was early also. The general opinion is that the managers must be pretty happy with my performance so far and confident that I could handle it.

It’s not a promotion, but it is a step towards one. It requires me to have a pager with me so the customer can call me when there’s a problem, so I just gained yet another gadget. And it’s a two-way pager - I’m really moving up in the world.

The down side of this is that I have to work even harder to keep learning – the customer expects me to be knowledgeable, and I don’t want to disappoint. There’s so much to learn that it boggles the mind. I’m not too worried about that, however. I’ve always been able to learn things very quickly, and I’m not expected to be perfect. I’ve decided that I want to take my first certification test early – I should be able to handle it, and it will be another thing that just looks good.

This was just the kind of thing I needed to dispel some of the bad mood I was in after dealing with the Ex this last weekend.